blob: f1c92e726763820bd20eb5d4f83b442b73fe6a49 [file] [log] [blame]
#!/usr/bin/env python3
# Copyright 2021 Google LLC
# Use of this source code is governed by a BSD-style license that can be
# found in the LICENSE file.
# This script is written to process the output from bloaty, read via stdin
# The easiest way to use the script:
# bloaty <path_to_binary> -d compileunits,symbols -n 0 --tsv | > bloaty.html
# Open the resulting .html file in your browser.
# TODO: Deal with symbols vs. fullsymbols, even both?
# TODO: Support aggregation by scope, rather than file (split C++ identifiers on '::')
# TODO: Deal with duplicate symbols better. These are actually good targets for optimization.
# They are sometimes static functions in headers (so they appear in multiple .o files),
# There are also symbols that appear multiple times due to inlining (eg, kNoCropRect).
# TODO: Figure out why some symbols are misattributed. Eg, Swizzle::Convert and ::Make are tied
# to the header by nm, and then to one caller (at random) by bloaty. They're not inlined,
# though. Unless LTO is doing something wacky here? Scope-aggregation may be the answer?
# Ultimately, this seems like an issue with bloaty and/or debug information itself.
import os
import sys
parent_map = {}
# For a given filepath "foo/bar/baz.cpp", `add_path` outputs rows to the data table
# establishing the node hierarchy, and ensures that each line is emitted exactly once:
# ['foo/bar/baz.cpp', 'foo/bar', 0],
# ['foo/bar', 'foo', 0],
# ['foo', 'ROOT', 0],
def add_path(path):
if not path in parent_map:
head = os.path.split(path)[0]
if not head:
parent_map[path] = "ROOT"
parent_map[path] = head
# We add a suffix to paths to eliminate the chances of a path name colliding with a symbol
# name. This is important because google.visualization.TreeMap requires node names to be
# unique, and a file such as test/foo/bar.cpp would create a node named "test", which could
# collide with a symbol named "test" defined in a C++ file.
# Assumptions made:
# - No C++ symbol ends with " (Path)".
# - No C++ symbol is named "ROOT".
parent = parent_map[path]
if parent != "ROOT": parent = "%s (Path)" % parent
print("['%s (Path)', '%s', 0]," % (path, parent))
def main():
# HTML/script header, plus the first two (fixed) rows of the data table
<script type="text/javascript" src=""></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
google.charts.load('current', {'packages':['treemap']});
function drawChart() {
const data = google.visualization.arrayToDataTable([
['Name', 'Parent', 'Size'],
['ROOT', null, 0],""")
symbol_frequencies = {}
# Skip header row
# TODO: In the future, we could use this to automatically detect the source columns
for line in sys.stdin:
vals = line.rstrip().split("\t")
if len(vals) != 4:
print("ERROR: Failed to match line\n" + line)
(filepath, symbol, vmsize, filesize) = vals
# Skip any entry where the filepath or symbol starts with '['
# These tend to be section meta-data and debug information
if filepath.startswith("[") or symbol.startswith("["):
# Strip the leading ../../ from paths
while filepath.startswith("../"):
filepath = filepath[3:];
# Files in third_party sometimes have absolute paths. Strip those:
if filepath.startswith("/"):
rel_path_start = filepath.find("third_party")
if rel_path_start >= 0:
filepath = filepath[rel_path_start:]
print("ERROR: Unexpected absolute path:\n" + filepath)
# Symbols involving C++ lambdas can contain single quotes
symbol = symbol.replace("'", "\\'")
# Ensure that we've added intermediate nodes for all portions of this file path
# Ensure that our final symbol name is unique (a repeated "foo" symbol becomes "foo_1",
# "foo_2", etc.)
if symbol not in symbol_frequencies:
symbol_frequencies[symbol] = 1
freq = symbol_frequencies[symbol]
symbol_frequencies[symbol] = freq + 1
symbol += "_" + str(freq)
# Append another row for our sanitized data
print("['%s', '%s (Path)', %d]," % (symbol, filepath, int(filesize)))
# HTML/script footer
print(""" ]);
tree = new google.visualization.TreeMap(document.getElementById('chart_div'));
tree.draw(data, {
generateTooltip: showTooltip
function showTooltip(row, size, value) {
const escapedLabel = data.getValue(row, 0)
.replace('&', '&amp;')
.replace('<', '&lt;')
.replace('>', '&gt;')
return `<div style="background:#fd9; padding:10px; border-style:solid">
<span style="font-family:Courier"> ${escapedLabel} <br>
Size: ${size} </div>`;
<div id="chart_div" style="width: 100%; height: 100%;"></div>
if __name__ == "__main__":